Friday, October 30, 2009

Shabeen Queen


There's nothing more restricting than comfort, it destroys all chance of new discoveries and experience. That's what this weekend revealed to me, an idea that I have been against since the beginning of this year, in fact since I became of the partying age. Not once in my life did I think I'd find myself having a hell of a good time in a tarven.
Yes a Tarven! As a security a measure I left all the valuables I usually take out with me, the phone, the pears, the lip gloss and breath mint. I've heard doge stories about township night outs. When we arrived the place was already packed, and to my surprise there was order-people were queuing to get in, no one was being stabbed, no funky kasi brothers trying to get some and one was walking around with an open scalp.

The music kept me dancing from the moment I lay my foot inside till the break of down. I have been missing out on some good vibes all this while and there's no one to blame but myself, for being comfortable in my suburban comfort zone. Right now I stand proudly as shabeen queen wannabe, not only is that environment live and groovy but when there's a sense that the people around you have your back, everybody dances with anyone- without any funny stares. And unlike the town vibes, people in the township get down. As soon as exams are over and done with, I'll be taking the first taxi out to my little jam spot to dance away the exam blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment