Thursday, October 15, 2009

Aljazeera is Arab! Leave it at that!

Tweet: Aljazeera is Arab. Leave it at that!

The recent bid by the pro Israeli media Tycoon Haim Saban to buy half of the Aljazeera network has left me feeling hopeless that by the time I have completed my degree in journalism, there will be no international news channel that reports ethical journalism. He was turned down once before in 2004 but is trying his luck once again. Aljazeera is the largest Middle East news network but is reported to be experiencing some financial difficulties currently. Saban is said to be making an offer of five billion dollars to purchase half of the entire network. I cannot understand how a network like Aljazeera, who receives funding annually from the Qatari government, can be suffering a financial crisis. Where would millions of people, including Arabs turn to for unbiased news if this deal is to go through? Aljazeera is the only international news channel that I watch in South Africa, if it gets sold to someone whose intentions are to create a pro Israeli perception within the Arab world (he is also a huge supporter of the right-wing Netanyahu government), then I would have difficulty in maintaining that spark I have for cutting edge journalism. As if having most of the other major news channels in the world like CNN, BBC, Sky and FOX news brain wash millions of people every day with their pro Zionist ideas isn't enough, we will now all be, like most of the worlds States and poltical leaders already are, puppets and lovers of a government who makes money out of killing innocent people.


I turn red when I hear of the Israeli's hawkish plans to destroy what's left of freedom of speech!

No comments:

Post a Comment