Monday, September 28, 2009

the world according to Sara Garrun

Visit our wonder emporium for a little ethos with urbanity! Designed especially for the young@heart-speak your mind and be heard!

"Those who think see the world as comic, those who feel see the world as tragic"- John Irving, “The World according to TS. Garp.”
Have you ever thought of how you see the world? Do you want to write about it as I do? I believe it is only through language and writing that we are able to stop ourselves from disappearing into a world that is filled with the commentary of others. It is essential for everyone to express themselves in some way and blogging can be an idyllic medium.
As students of journalism we all have aspirations to change the world, but the more we might fail in even the smallest of endeavours, the more I realise my goal as a journalist is simply for my writing to be filled with seemliness and integrity, and with this, change will surely follow. Our blog deals with issues that constitute our everyday lives - who we are, where we come from and what is affecting the people around us today. It does not matter if we do not find the answers to all our questions, or come to agreements in all of our discussions; the crucial purpose of this blog is that we are creating a dialogue with other individuals.
Through writing I am able to express my views with clarity and relate to the people around me. By reading the posts of others I come to realise that there are things in the world bigger than myself and my thoughts. We all tend to believe that we are the epicentre of the world and it is through interacting with others on a large scale that we see we are not. The internet is an ocean of different people with different thoughts and views- it is the ultimate classroom as well as one of the most perilous places to find yourself.
In this classroom we are free to pick and choose from an array of sources, it is an information paradise as well as a world of unmonitored and unsubstantiated ‘fact’. The ocean of people in our classroom is not always there to present meaningful and insightful views of the world. If we are to gain a true perspective of what is fact and what is malicious content or misguided truth, we must receive all our information with a pinch of salt, but this does not mean we need become eternal sceptics.
What this means for me as a blogger is that I must build up a view of the world for our readers that is safe. Safe in that its content will not be tactless, degrading or bias. It is important then to also make sure that anything portrayed as ‘fact’ must be substantiated. A great deal of what I will post on our blog will naturally be my own opinion, thus giving those who read it a window into my world and my thoughts. I hope others will be as candid as I intend to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment