Monday, September 28, 2009

"I became a journalist to come as close as possible to the heart of the world"

Kerry-Leigh East

So ever since I’ve been small, I’ve been vocal about those things that I feel strongly about. This could come from reading novels like Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys which allowed for a righteous feeling arise within me for those people who the characters are helping. I wanted to be like that. I wanted to be Nancy Drew, the independent, sensitive soul solving crimes which boggle the minds of others. From there is where the soapbox came for me. Since I was always talking about matters I cared about, my family decided that I was to receive my own and honorary soapbox. It was nothing fancy, (actually just the fireplace mantel) and it was there I found my true voice hoping to inspire my family to do something to change things that we were unhappy about. The soapbox was my medium, my voice and my love.

Eventually this voice within me found journalism. This was the official medium that I could rely on that would be recognised by many, not only for the injustices of the world but also for the good things which happen. Henry. R. Luce said, “I became a journalist to come as close as possible to the heart of the world” and this to echoes my feelings. Are journalists not the best people who are able to experience the intricacies of the society we live in? Journalists have to get to the heart of the matter and meet all types of people from different places, different walks of life, and different values and then have to effectively share these stories to the world in a way that will make people wake up and take note. Although all people may be quite able to see the things which happen around them, it can easily be forgotten. This is where I think journalists become important. Journalists have to show and show and show people again what is going on in their through various media and a variety of stories. It is only in this way that society will accept the things occurring in society and perhaps attempt to make a change.

If journalists stop to feel and be sensitive to those around them, we shall become detached and have no use for inspiring a change in society. I aspire to become the voice of those in the poorest countries, those who are sick, dying and sadly forgotten. Hopefully one day they will no longer be forgotten. Let journalists become your voice, your heart song and your hope for a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment