Sunday, September 27, 2009

Aneesa Fazel

"Journaism inspires me coz no matter how bleak the world may seem it entertains the world with its ideas and creaivity"

Have you ever stop to wonder what the world would be like without anyone to report the news?
Just as the Political Philosopher Samuel Huntington believes an election is the most important thing for a country to be democratic, I believe that journalism too is an important tool in maintaining the democratic values of a country. Without the circulation of news and the presentation of the actions of the people we put into power, we would be incapable of making the informed decisions that we do in fact make today.

The mere idea of working a nine to five job despairs me. The thought of knowing that the work of a journalist is in the service of the average man on the street inspires me; because ultimately that is what we all are. My inspiration to become a journalist is all around me. The suffering street kids inspire me as much as the crooked policeman inspires me to understand the story behind the story because no story is what it always seems. I used to find inspiration in television journalists and political authors until I understood how set news agendas was the root of corrupted news and how easy it was for good writers to persuade people into believing anything they wanted them to. When it comes to the main stream media, journalism today no longer has that attractive factor to it of ‘freedom of press’. If the corrupt people control the press, then I guess there isn’t much to say about freedom. News no longer becomes a channel through which people without a voice are finally given one, but a channel through which the masses can be controlled by the things they see and the things they hear.


Being a journalist means being free. For if you are not free yourself, you cannot sincerely report on a people who are shackled. Being a journalist means being able to be emotionally detached, for that is when priorities begin to weaken. I want to be a person who can help the people around me with true journalism ethics. I want to be someone who feels good about the things I am doing as a journalist and not feel that it is just part of doing my job. I want to be woken up at 3am in the morning to be made aware of a drug bust by the local police and feel good that later on, I can write about this, and make many of my countrymen feel like there is still hope. My inspiration is the youth. For no matter how bleak the world may seem, they entertain the world with their endless ideas and creativity. The youth brings colour to a grey and white world. My inspiration is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment